Five Controversies that Trail Abba Kyari
A Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari, has recently been in the news for the wrong reasons. The suspended police officer who had once been one a well-decorated police personnel in the country has been linked with a series of controversies since last year. They are as follows:
– On July 29 2021, infamous Nigerian fraudster Ramon Abbas popularly known as Hushpuppi who is currently facing charges of money laundering and internet fraud in the United States implicated Abba Kyari as a party in an international scheme to defraud a Qatari school founder.
– On August 1, 2021, the Police Service Commission (PSC) suspended Abba Kyari from office as the Deputy Commissioner of Police and Head of the Intelligence Response Team (IRT), as a reaction to the charges against him.
– On August 3, 2021, Kyari released a statement on his verified Facebook page narrating how he had only been connected to Hushpuppi through a fabric dealer whom the latter paid about N300, 000. He later edited his statement to further include another money-related case he had handled involving Hushpuppi. But he deleted the post where he had earlier claimed to have linked Hushpuppi up with his tailor.
– On February 14, 2022, Kyari was declared wanted by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency over alleged drug links which included a video of him in a suspicious interaction with another person over deals involving cocaine.
– On the same February 14, a few hours after the NDLEA had declared the suspended DCP wanted, he was arrested by the Nigerian police.