Ligarma Bombing: Nigerian Military Vows to Improve Strategies to Protect Civilians
By Alabidun Shuaib AbdulRahman
The bombing of civilians at Ligarma, a terrorist-infested area of Kaduna State by the Nigerian Army has been described as a tragedy, needless and unwanted.
The Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Edward Buba made the disclosure in a statement released on Tuesday in Abuja.
General Buba noted that the Nigerian Military, having detected the terrorist presence in Ligarma, recognized the imminent threat they posed to crucial infrastructure.
He pointed out that terrorists often strategically position themselves within civilian areas, placing the civilian population at risk of the consequences of their actions.
Despite these challenges, General Buba assured that the Nigerian military consistently endeavors to differentiate between civilians and terrorists during operations.
Highlighting the deceptive tactics employed by terrorists who disguise themselves as civilians, General Buba expressed the military’s commitment to finding innovative solutions to the complexities encountered in their operations.
The statement affirms the ongoing efforts to address the challenges and minimize the impact on innocent civilians caught in the midst of conflict.
READ THE FULL STATEMENT BELOW:
PRESS RELEASE ON AIR STRIKE ON LIGARMA VILLAGE IN KADUNA STATE
1. On 3 Dec 2023, at about 2200hrs and based on ontoward activities by terrorist. The NA UAV detachment observed movement of terrorist at Ligarma, a terrorist-infested area of Kaduna State. Aerial surveillance captured movement of groups of persons synonymous with the terrorist tactics and modus operandi.
2. The observed advance of the terrorist that were gathered posted a threat to key infrastructure within reach of the ontoward activities. Accordingly, the threat was eliminated to prevent the terrorist from unleashing terror on innocent civilians.
3. It should be noted that, terrorist often deliberately embed themselves within civilian population centres in order for civilian population to bear the consequences of their atrocities. Nevertheless, the Nigerian military does its best at all times to distinguish between civilians and terrorist.
4. The military views every civilian death in the cause of operations as a tragedy. Such tragedies are needless and unwanted, that cause the armed forces to take extensive measures to avoid them.
4. One such measures taken by the military is to continually gives precise instructions to communities. For instance, communities are to always alert troops of their activities particularly when such a community is known to be infested with terrorist and their sympathisers.These instructions are intended at enabling the military distinguish between friendly and ontoward activities.
5. The armed forces will continue to operate consistent with international law as it always has done. It will also continue its determined and cautious progress in eradicating terrorist from our land.
6. These terrorist as part of their tactics disguise as civilian to perpetrate terror . Accordngly, the will continue to find innovative solutions to the challenges faced in the conduct of operations.
Director Defence Media Operations