Profile of New Chief of Air Staff, AVM Isiaka O. Amao
Air Vice Marshal Isiaka Oladayo Amao was born on 14 September 1965 at Enugu. He hails from Oshogbo Local Government Area of Osun State, Nigeria. He enlisted into the Nigerian Air Force on 19 January 1984 as a member of 35th Nigerian Defence Academy Regular Course and was commissioned as Pilot Officer on 20 December 1986. He has the following academic qualifications: Master of Science (MSc) in Defence and Strategic Studies from University of Madras India, Master of Military Science and Strategy (MMSc) and Advance Diploma in Defence and Strategy Studies from National Defence University (NDU) China, Post Graduate Diploma in International Relations and Diplomacy from Kaduna Polytechnic Nigeria, National Diploma in Freshwater and Fisheries Technology from Federal College of Freshwater and Fisheries Technology (FCFFT) New Bussa Nigeria and Nigerian Defence Academy Certificate of Education.
- Air Vice Marshal Amao has attended the following courses:
• Primary Flying Training, at 301 Flying Training School Kaduna Nigeria.
• Basic Flying Training at 303 Flying Training School Kano Nigeria.
• Tactical Fighter Training at 99 Air Combat Training Group Kainji Nigeria.
• Instructor Pilot Course at 301 Flying Training School Kaduna Nigeria.
• Junior Staff Course at Armed Forces Command and Staff College Jaji Nigeria.
• Senior Staff Course at Defence Services Staff College Wellington India.
• National Defense Course at National Defence University China.
• Aircraft Accident Investigation Course at Karachi Pakistan.
• Aircraft Accident Investigation in Civil Airline at Nigeria Civil Aviation Training School Zaria Nigeria.
- Air Vice Marshal Amao has held several appointments, which include:
• Squadron Pilot at 99 Air Combat Training Group.
• Instructor Pilot at 301 Flying Training School.
• Instructor Pilot at 303 Flying Training School.
• Air Assistant to Chief of Air Staff at Headquarters Nigerian Air Force.
• Deputy Defence Adviser (Air) at Nigerian High Commission London.
• Acting Defence Adviser at Nigerian High Commission, London.
• Assistant Director Operations at Defence Headquarters Abuja Nigeria.
• Commander of 99 Air Combat Training Group.
• Commander of 75 Strike Group Yola Nigeria.
• Air Component Commander Operations ZAMALAFIYA and LAFIYA DOLE. (North East Nigeria Operation).
• Deputy Theatre Commander (Air) Operation LAFIYA DOLE.
• Director of Policy at Headquarters Nigerian Air Force.
• Director of Training at Headquarters Nigerian Air Force.
• Director of Operations at Headquarters Nigerian Air Force.
• Air Officer Commanding Tactical Air Command Makurdi.
• Chief of Policy and Plans Nigerian Air Force.
• He is currently the Commandant Armed Forces Resettlement Centre, Lagos.
DECORATIONS AND AWARDS
- Air Vice Marshal Amao’s decorations include:
• Force Service Star (FSS).
• Meritorious Service Star (MSS).
• Distinguished Service Star (DSS).
• General Service Star (GSS)
• General Service Medal (GSM).
• River Benue Star (RBS).
• Passed Staff College (PSC).
• Fellow National Defence University (FNDU) China.
• Qualified Flying Instructor (QFI).
5. Air Vice Marshal Amao is a fighter instructor pilot with over 1500 jet and instructional hours. He is a recipient of the Chief of Air Staff letter of commendation for good leadership. He has participated in the following operations:
• Draw Down of AFISMA operation in Mali.
• Operation ZAMAN LAFIYA (North East Nigeria operations).
• Operation LAFIYA DOLE (North East Nigeria operations).
• Other internal security operations in Nigeria.
- Air Vice Marshal Amao is happily married to Mrs Elizabeth Olubunmi Amao and they are blessed with 3 lovely boys. His Hobbies include are, reading, dancing, travelling, playing volley ball and golf as well as fish farming.